150-Senegalese Peanut Soup

Senegal is a country south of the Senegal River in western Africa. One of their exports are groundnuts or ...you guessed it peanuts. I can not claim to know anything about Africa or Senegal. But, if this soup is truly from their country, then I do know one thing: They have great soup recipes. And did you know that March is National Peanut Month? I didn't either.

Peanuts are the only nut or seed that our middle child can eat so I felt safe in making this. I do so love nuts and miss them in my cooking. This was a nice reunion.

I am wondering as I do this...why not use peanut butter? And then I am amazed that I am making peanut butter. Wow, I didn't know I could do that. ( oh, I sound like Junie B. Jones!)


There is a recipe for this soup on the food network that uses coconut milk. I think that might add a little more of a zing. I have a soft spot in my taste buds for coconut.

The recipe I used is from The 150 Best American Recipes.

Comments

Vicki said…
This is actually a very nutrient packed soup. I'm going to give it a try.

Allergies can be challenging, to say the least. My son was allergic to any artificial thickeners (gum, etc) and annatto. He finally outgrew it. Husband has a horrible mustard allergy. Mustard spice and mustard flour is in so many things it makes my head spin. Allergist said it was brought on by the anesthetics from countless surgeries and operations. Who knew that could happen?!