Baby Bakes the Cake AKA Tiger Cake

This cake is from Bittersweet from Alice Medrich. It has the most amazing texture and it is lovely to look at. The recipe claims it is better the second day..how true that is!! Our New York visitors even liked it-and they don't do sweets.

Baby positions rack in lower third of oven and preheats oven to 350 degrees- Okay, I did that part!! Baby does grease and flours the cake pan.

Look mom I can measure the olive oil!

And I know what to do with these!

Oops! That didn't go as I planned.

But, don't worry I know where this white stuff goes..in the garbage! Let me do it.

I need to make sure the sugar is tasty.

And I do love chocolate. I will just take a tad before measuring it.

Now, let me show you my way of using this tool!

Oh..will it come out. Someone once said that I had a great pan because it layered cakes for me!! Well, this is one cake I do not want layered...cross your fingers.

Spectacular!!!

Beautiful!

Tiger Cake or I like to call it, Olive Oil Cake. The flavor is not a typical American sweet cake. Be prepared for something very different. I love this as toast!! Great toast with butter.

Tiger Cake (print recipe)

Whisk and set aside:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water

Sift on to waxed paper :
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tea baking powder
1/4 tea salt

In mixer with whisk attachment:
2 cup sugar
1 cup olive oil
1 tea vanilla
1/2 ground white pepper

Add and beat well after each addition:
5 cold eggs

Mix until pale and thick. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture just till blended. Add 1/2 cup milk until just blended. Add another 1/3 of flour, mix, 1/2 cup milk, and the last of flour.

Mix 3 cups of batter into the cocoa mixture. Pour 1/3 of plain batter into prepared pan. Then top with 1/3 chocolate batter. Repeat.

Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool on rack 15 minutes. Release cake and invert onto rack.

Comments

Hehe! Love it!!
Beautiful cake!
Vicki said…
I just love when your baby bakes!
This is a great looking cake.
Sinful!
I just love your new look! So classic.

Vicki,
We have so much fun in the kitchen! The cake beautiful..but I ask myself, "Do I want the taste of olive oil in my cake?".
Amber Walker said…
I had that cake and I can tell all your readers is was very, very delicious.