Irish Colcannon

Now, I know this is a Irish Halloween Tradition but...I had to make it for St. Patrick's Day. I was wanting to try something new. My old stand by, corned beef and cabbage, we had just made last month. When I saw this recipe I thought...sounds gross. Sorry Mary, but it did. Boiled meat! I just couldn't do it. Other than that I followed the recipe to a tee. And it was mouthwatering!!!
Speaking of recipe, check out One Perfect Bite for the recipe.

How could it not be splendid...all that butter and cream?

And you serve it with a pool of butter..a wonderful pool of butter.

We added Leprechaun bread. When I was growing up my stepmother would make "fairy bread": cheap white bread, butter and colored sprinkles. So, I thought croissants and sprinkles-Perfect! We also had peas, arroz verde, and green noddles. All of our mix matched favorites...only one Irish delicacy in the bunch! Perhaps, next year the whole menu will be traditional!

Colcannon ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 pound unsliced slab bacon or ham
3 pounds boiling potatoes
2 sticks + 3 tablespoons butter, divided use
1-1/4 cups light cream or milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium head savory cabbage, cored and shredded
1/2 cup chopped scallions

Directions:
1) Place bacon or ham in pot. Cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from water. Allow to cool. Dice. Refrigerate if not to be used immediately.
2) Scrub potatoes and place on a steamer rack. Bring water in steamer to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer potatoes for 30 minutes. Peel and force potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl. Add 1 stick butter, cut into small dice, into potatoes. Mash to combine. Add salt and pepper to milk. Slowly add hot milk to potato mixture, beating with a spoon. Cover bowl. Keep warm.
3) While potatoes steam, add 3 tablespoons butter to wok. Add cabbage and stir fry over high heat until mixture is crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) Add cabbage, bacon and scallions to potatoes. Mix well. Place an equal portion of colcannon in each of six soup bowls.
5) Melt reserved stick of butter in a small pan or in microwave. Form a well in center of each bowl of potatoes. Spoon melted butter into well. Serve hot. Yield: 6 servings.

Comments

Sarah said…
That looked fun! I had one of those days, and didn't do anything. Didn't even wear green. We're doing stuff on Friday. Hey, nobody has to know! I wanted to try the Colcannon, but Josh vetoed that idea.
you must get Josh to try it! So yummy. Potatoes like Velvet. The way they melt on your tongue..I need a midnight snack.
HanaĆ¢ said…
I've made colcannon before. Loved it! It's comfort food for the soul! :o)
Hanna,
I so loved this. In fact, finished the leftovers today and it was still wonderful.