Hanaâ's Kitchen: Stovetop Double-Chocolate Pudding
Recipe from The Weekend Baker
• ¾ cup (6 oz/170 grams) granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup (1 ¼ oz/35 grams) cornstarch
• 1/3 cup (1 oz/28 grams) unsweetened natural cocoa powder, sifted if lumpy
• ¼ tsp table salt
• 3 ½ cups (28 fl oz/840 ml) whole milk
• 4 oz (113 grams) semisweet, bittersweet, or milk chocolate, chopped
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk until well blended. Pour in about ½ cup (4 fl oz/117 ml) of the milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the remaining milk.
2. Set the pan over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute and then remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and vanilla and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the pudding is smooth. Pour into serving bowls. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool slightly and serve warm, or refrigerate until room temperature or cold. Garnish with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
3. Storage: cover and refrigerate the cooled pudding for up to 4 days.
• Mocha: mix 1 tsp instant coffee granules or espresso powder into the sugar mixture and proceed as directed.
• Cinnamon: mix 1 tsp ground cinnamon into the sugar mixture and proceed as directed.
• Orange: mix 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest into the sugar mixture and proceed as directed.
4 cups or 8 servings.