My Fairy Godmother and the Tri-Lemon Pie Contest

Oh the wonders of a pie contest!! Any contest is a good contest..but lemon pie is the best kind of contest. I love my sour cream lemon pie recipe...but will it be able to compete?

I have a fairy godmother. I just can't believe how I have been blessed in my life! She is my neighbor, friend, adopted younger sister, and taste tester baker companion. She is always giving me the most wonderful gifts. In fact, my favorite kitchen tools have come from her. Some fairy godmothers give shoes and dresses..NOT MINE. She has given me a super duper double boiler, super zester, pineapple corer, and the most beautiful vintage table cloth. Where other women need fancy hair she knew I needed a kitchen pick me up. She has even kidnapped me and taken me to two fantastic gourmet food shops and then out to lunch at the most yummy restaurant!!





It is with my fairy godmother that we had the contest.

Blue Moon Lemon Supreme Pie



Fairy Godmother Lemon Cloud



Sour Cream Lemon Pie



And the cutting and feasting begins....

I wish you could have all been judges....

I used a new pie recipe from the pioneer woman. I love it because it is so easy!! I added the recipe but you really need to see her post...she has beautiful photos and step by step directions.
Ingredients:
  • 1-½ cup Crisco (vegetable Shortening)
  • 3 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 5 Tablespoons Cold Water
  • 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
Directions:

In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the Crisco into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.

Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about ½ inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using it immediately it’s still a good idea to put in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes to chill.)

When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) If the dough is sticking to the countertop use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up and flip it over and continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.

With a spatula, lift the dough carefully from the surface of the counter into the pie pan. Gently press the dough against the corner of the pan. Go around the pie pan pinching and tucking the dough to make a clean edge.



Blue Moon Lemon Supreme Pie

I saw this first pie on the Food for Thought website that I participate in. The pictures are breathtaking. The review is a book called The Illustrated Olive Farm. I just had to make this pie because of the pictures.

Making the bottom layer.

Spread in the pan.

Top with lemon and put in fridge.

Lemon Supreme Pie (source)
Ingredients:
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep-dish pastry shell
LEMON FILLING:
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
  • 6 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
  • 4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups whipped topping
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add remaining sugar. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gently stir in lemon juice (do not over mix). Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Do not stir.
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and lemon juice. Refrigerate 1/2 cup for garnish. Spread remaining cream cheese mixture into shell; top with lemon filling. Chill overnight.
Place reserved cream cheese mixture in a pastry bag with a #21 star tip; pipe stars onto pie. Store in the refrigerator.


Sour Cream Lemon Pie

Whisk dry ingredients.

Add milk.

Whisk while boiling.

You want it very thick.

Add sour cream.

Fill shell and cover with wrap before putting in fridge.

Sour Cream Lemon Pie (Recipe)

I wish you all could have a fairy godmother like mine. She is beyond the description of words in my vocabulary or ability to write. If you were here she would invite you to sit and most definitely she would feed you something wonderful. Maybe her wonderful lemon cloud pie...if you were lucky.

Comments

Vicki said…
Oh mys gosh, three lemon pies! I love sour cream lemon pie but it was made with the sour cream topping for cheesecake instead of meringue. Put in the lemon filling sounds too delicious! Did you see the recipe for mini chili frittata on Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen today?
No! But I will check it out right now!
Kaye said…
My mouth is watering - must make lemon pie now. What did you think of that crust recipe? Some ladies still say that lard nakes the best crust.
I liked the ease of the crust...but I still love lard the best!! Keep it in my fridge just for crust.
a quiet life said…
oh i am jealous you had triple the fun! yum yum YUM! they all look wonderful, i adore lemon pie too... i am so glad you enjoy food for thought, its so fun to share books and PIE!