Ode to Pie - ABC Chocolate Caramel Cream Pie

I have been on a quest for pie crust for years. I have many recipes. Those that add vinegar or buttermilk. Those that use lard, shortening, and/or butter. I have used the food processor and by hand. What I know from many years of the pie crust journey:

Even a bad homemade crust is better than a store bought crust

I have a fall back recipe that is my mother in laws. It is fantastic. It never fails to be a nice crust. I just wish it had more flavor. So, I continue on my quest...until now. I have found a crust that I love!

Do you see the huge pieces of butter in that crust?..that is flavor and flakiness right there.

She suggests using coffee filters that I pull out of the craft closet..do you know they make great butterflies?

And I bake with beans. I found that this works better and is easier than my pie chain which is sometimes to heavy for my delicate crust.

This pie has 4 components: crust, caramel sauce, chocolate and whipped cream. How could this not be great?

I think I undercooked the crust a tad...so it wasn't as strong as it should be. This gives me an excuse to try it again. My only gripe was that the filling was lumpy-so I just pulled out the lumps.

Joel said, "This is the best pie ever!"

But I ask you, Joel, do you and your taste buds remember these???

Coconut Key Lime Pie
(Martha Stewart)


Homemade Cherry Pie


Rhubarb-Cherry-Raspberry Crumb Pie
(Baking for All Occasions)


Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie on a bed of Gingersnaps
(Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook)

Dutch Apple made on the Stovetop
(Cook's Illustrated Recipe)



Pumpkin Cream Pie
(Martha Stewart Recipe)

Sour Cream Lemon Pie
(Junior League Cookbook)


Cherry Pie Pops
(Internet Recipe)

Oven Baked Dutch Apple
(King Arthur Flour Baking Companion)

Blue Moon Lemon Pie
(Internet Recipe)

Meatball Pie
(Aunt Dawn's Recipe)

Chocolate Cream Pie
(Diner Dessert Recipe)

Not to mention those not pictured: Coconut Cream Pie, Banana Cream Pie, Cranberry Fudge Pie, Peanut Butter Pie and Cloud Nine Lime Pie

Are you sure it is your favorite pie???

Comments

HanaĆ¢ said…
Oh boy, I think Joel is in trouble :o) That's a beautiful array of pies you got there. The ABC pie turned out beautiful too. You might have underbaked your crust, but I think I might have overbaked it slightly. I loved the flakiness in Flo's recipe though. I will definitely use this recipe again.

PS: you'll have to tell us how to make butterflies from coffee filters :o)
Chelly said…
Love your "Ode to Pies"! And I agree with you a bad homemade crust is so much better than a store bought crust anyday!!
Vicki said…
I still need to make this ABC pie! Your's looks fantastic. We've had so much going on these past two months I'm sure I have more gray hair.