Happy Independence Day 2011!!

I was a bit disheartened when I read a friends email telling me of the wonderful food she was planning for the Fourth celebration. I have not been placing a high priority on my passion for baking lately and had not even thought about the holiday.
But!!
with a new pie cookbook and an apple pie children's story book that have been speaking to me, I used this chance to make an All American Apple Pie.

We got this book for the "Bug". It has wonderful illustrations and is a great story about the whole process of an apple pie...from the apple tree, the sun, and the animals on a farm. We got it about a month ago and I have wanted to make an apple pie since then.

I was excited to get this new pie cookbook, Lion House Pies, that came with a how to video. I saw an amazing trick of baking the pie on the outside of the pan and then putting it in the pan correctly when it had cooled. It is a trick that is used when making cream pies. And how can you not love a cookbook that says, "If your oven is large enough, bake 4 to 8 pies at a time..:!!!

The technique I love to use when making an apple pie is a technique I learned on the Cook's Illustrated website. You make the filling and put it in your fully cooked shell. Then top with your crumb topping and bake only 10 minutes to brown.

Make a syrup with the apple drippings and whipping cream.

This is one of my favorite pies!


Happy Holidays Friends!

Comments

Vicki said…
I could jump into this pie!