Year Late Tres Leche Cake

When we moved to Arizona, I met a great man. A key maker by trade, he is friendly and always helpful. He is from Mexico and we talk about Mexican cuisine and local restaurants. We both love food!! He asked long ago if I made Tres leches and I said I had. He said I should make one. I said I would. After that whenever I would see him or needed a key made, he would ask me about his Tres leches cake. I said I would make it in January. Always festering on the back burner of my mind, months passed by. Well, here it is in July!! The cake is made and it was wonderful.

I used Alton Brown's recipe with the addition of lime zest.

Tres Leche Cake for Jorge

For the cake:

  • 6 3/4 ounces cake flour, plus extra for pan
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Zest of 2 small limes
Mix dry ingredients and set aside
  • 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 8 ounces sugar
Beat butter until fluffy. After fluffy, slowly and gradually add the sugar, scraping sides as necessary.
  • 5 whole eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Beat eggs in one at a time mixing thoroughly. Add vanilla. Add flour in 3 batches, mixing just till combined. Pour into 13 x 9 greased pan. Bake 20-30 minutes until internal temp is 200 degrees.

Remove and cool for 30 minutes. Poke holes all over surface of cake and cool completely.

For the soak: (see below)

  • 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
Mix all milks. Pour over cake slowly and evenly. Refrigerate overnight.

For the topping:

  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 8 ounces sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Using whisk, whisk together on low until stiff peaks. Change to medium speed and whisk until very thick. Spread on cake and serve. Keep in fridge.


Things I have discovered about Tres leches:

  • It is very sweet!
  • It also is best at room temperature..that is when it oozes the milk.
  • It makes this wonderful pool of yumminess on your plate. I use to think of this as Gross but I have matured.
  • I don't make it often because it takes a couple days and I am impatient.
  • Many people don't like the idea of a seeping cake..those people are missing out!
  • There is a better soak for this cake:
One can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk- pour contents into a 9inch pie tin. Bake at 450 degrees covered with foil like a custard (in roasting pan with boiling water surrounding). Bake until thick and caramel 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Refill roasting pan as needed with water. Cool completely. I made mine a month in advance!

In saucepan mix: sweetened condensed milk mixture, 4 Tb heavy cream, 4 Tb milk and 1/4 tea salt. Stir until smooth and warm. Remove from heat and add: 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tb whipping cream and 1 1/2 cups milk and 2-4 tea rum. Mix well. Slowly pour over cake.

This Dulce De Leche Sauce was found in Flo Braker's Baking for All Occasions.

Comments