Cookbook Review-Loveless Cafe


Should I be cursing the local library?

Every time they get a new cookbook for me to try out...I just must own it. I think Joel might take away my library card.
This is yet another book that I just wanted to scan through at the library. Well, it had to come home with me. And well...I had to purchase it. On looks alone it is a winner. The recipes seemed easy and yummy. The reviews on line raved, but you can't believe every thing online.

I have made 5 recipes from this book so far. All of them excellent. Best Snickerdoodles, EVER. There are 2 biscuit recipes that were good, 2 cookie recipes, and this cobbler. Only 1 cookie recipe was gross...but everyone but me loved it. It is a meringue thing-I hate anything even similar to meringue. The photos are wonderful and just bring happiness to my heart with the retro homey feel.
This recipe calls for left over biscuits! I just love biscuits and there are typically no leftovers. So I made a huge batch to make sure we had plenty and a half. The dessert is layered like a lasagna.

Ingredients in this cookbook are fresh. A lot of the recipes use Rose Water. This recipe used fresh orange juice between layers.

The top layer is biscuits rolled in melted butter..which gives the top a nice crunch. I added orange zest..waste not want not.

Now, mine is darker because I added blueberries also. And homemade vanilla ice cream.

Peach Biscuit Brown Betty adapted from The Loveless Cafe Dessert Book

Ingredients:
16 oz frozen sliced peaches-unsweetened
1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries Mix all together. Put half in baker.
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 tea cinnamon
1/2 tea nutmeg

2 cups crumbled biscuits Crumble half over fruit

1/3 cup fresh OJ Squeeze over biscuits in baker

2 TB melted butter Mix melted butter and remaining
biscuits and sprinkle on top

1 tea orange zest Sprinkle zest and sugar on top
2 TB cinnamon sugar

Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool 15 min before serving.

We had wonderful guests over who are visiting the KOA from Idaho. They brought us some great rocks for our collection.

Comments

Lois B said…
I'd never though about looking for cookbooks in the library! But I agree it would be hard to let them go without buying a copy - kind of like "just looking" at puppies!

This looks yummy, btw!