ABC Apricot Plum Galette Demolished

This months recipe for the Avid Bakers Challenge was the apricot plum galette. It is the cover photo of the cookbook. I love making the cover recipe!

 The recipe says to create a shaggy dough...not knowing exactly what "shaggy" dough was, I made it very loose. The crust was spectacular. It was hard to not eat it all raw.

The fruit was amazingly sweet. I was a tad grumpy at fruit prices but when I cut everything up, I was thinking the prices were so worth it.

The dough handles nicely..and like I said is really yummy.

Look at all those bits of butter...you can not go wrong!

Transfers nice to the pan. This is really a quick way to make a pie. I watched on the Pioneer Woman website that her husband prefers this kind of crust to the other. It makes pie a quick finger type food.

The addition of lemon juice and ginger sound good..but let me tell you how they mutated this creation.

At about this time I am getting pretty prideful. Everything about this dessert is amazing. I am thinking and saying to the fam, "This is going to be my best dessert EVER". By the time it is ready for the oven we have all tried the fruit and crust and are dying for it to come out of the oven.

Our first thought..wow..it really mutated in the oven. Ugly and not about to win any prizes for beauty.

Then the taste tests are in..everyone hated it! The flavor was awful. ST exclaimed, "Mom, you demolished a thing of wonder. What happened?" Joel "With lots of sugar poured on top you can eat it."
I do not know what happened! The ginger and lemon juice were a bad combo for flavor. I should have pulled the sides up closer to the middle to create a better side dam. That would have helped with the leaking juices. And I put too much filling in the middle.  But the flavor...a mystery. I can't wait to see what my ABC friends baked.

But I did like the idea of making a pie without a pan. So, I made Loveless Cafe's Out-of-the-Pan Peach Pie. It was really fun and quick.

And I pulled the sides up higher.

And it was a thing of beauty. And it tasted good.

Out-of-the-Pan Peach Pie
Desserts from the Loveless Cafe

1 pie crust (makes 2 pies)
4 cups sliced peaches
1/4 cup and 2Tb sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tea pumpkin pie spice

Mix peaches, sugar, flour, and spices together.

Divide crust into 2 and roll into a 10inch circle. Place 2 cups pie filling in center and fold up crust. Make 2.

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. (Can brush with an egg wash and sprinkle crust with sugar before baking.)

Comments

HanaĆ¢ said…
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Mine leaked too. I skipped the ginger (just didn't sound right to me), and I wished I had omitted the lemon juice too because my fruit wasn't very sweet to begin with, and the lemon juice just made the filling even less sweet. The crust tastes pretty good though (post-baking). I'm glad your Peach Pie turned out good.
Janis said…
Good to know that I wasn't the only one who skipped the ginger! I was doubting that combo as well especially when you have to feed 2 small kids with it. Too bad Abby's recipe didn't work out for you but that Out-of-Pan Peach Pie looks so good!
Hanaa and Janis,
I wish I had your self confidence! I just am a stickler for following the recipe the first time...and you are both right..minus the ginger and lemon juice would have been great.
Karin Anderson said…
I'm quite astonished about your taste problem.
Though I'm not the world's greatest ginger fan, I used the fresh ginger with my plums and apricots (I forgot the lemon juice, though) and we thought the flavor was outstanding!
But your galette leaked the same way mine did, so it's not us, it is the nature of the thing!
I found a comment in "Fine Cooking" stating that "some juice escaping is fine" for such a rustic pie.
Sorry to hear about your plum galette! I could not find any plums, so I used mangoes instead and seeing that everyone said that plums are not sweet enough, I'm glad that I've used mangoes!
Your peach pie sure looks good! Loveless Cafe cookbook has been on my wishlist!
Becca said…
Awwww I'm sorry Hun! A for effort!!! I'll tell ya what, that back up recipe looks pretty good :) glad you ended the week with a tasty out of pan peach pie.
MotherWouldKnow said…
I'm so glad you posted about your not-so-successful galette. I also post about my less-than-successful efforts, and reading about others who have issues with recipes gives me hints for how to avoid the problems. But I'll never learn about over-stuffing - think it's psychological in my case:)
Lien said…
I recognize the same problems, with the looks of the finish baked tart. Sorry to hear the taste wasn't good either, that's really what counts in the end. Glad you made the taste go away with a recipe that tasted better for you!