Pancake Tuesday Rootbeer Glaze over Pumpkin Pancakes


When I saw the recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes with a rootbeer glaze. I knew I had to make it. It is one of my wild ways. If I hear something really odd. I just need to try it. Like Peanut Butter Noodles! That turned out to be one of our favorites!! And now this..we loved this. I found the Recipe on Food Network
The pancakes are fluffy and tender.

Pancakes:

  • 1 cup pastry flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/16 teaspoon cloves 
  • 1/16 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1/16 teaspoon allspice 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1-ounce melted butter
  • 4 egg whites, whipped to soft peak
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil

Sift together all of the dry ingredients. In a bowl, combine the puree, whole eggs, and the half-and-half. Add the flour mixture and stir, don't over mix. Push in the butter with a fork.  Gently fold in 1/2 the egg whites to loosen the batter and when the whites are nearly incorporated, fold in the remaining egg whites. 

Root Beer Syrup:

  • 4 (16-ounce) bottles root beer
  • 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
To make the root beer syrup, reduce root beer until it becomes a thick glaze. Whisk in the butter and spoon over pancakes.

I used 8oz of root beer and 1 tea butter. It takes about 30 minutes to get thick and goes from thin to thick to burnt very quickly! It also thickens upon cooling. I thinned with a couple drops of root beer and reheated when it got too thick.

Caramelized Bananas:

  • 4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise
  • 2 ounces butter
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
Cut the bananas in 1/2 lengthwise. Heat a saute pan to medium and melt the butter and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves and begins to caramelize. Add the bananas and toss to coat.

I did not cook these enough..I was afraid of burning the sugar in the pan. Don't fear they brown nicely! Don't just toss to coat..but brown them..they taste better.


Cinnamon Whipped Cream:

  • 4 ounces whipping cream
  • Cinnamon ( I used 1/4 tea)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

To prepare the whipped cream, whisk the cream, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl until it holds a stiff peak.

The whipped cream was my most favorite. It was delish! The combo of flavors is amazing.

What worked for me in the kitchen:
  1. Whip egg whites for pancakes..set aside
  2. Cook root beer glaze while doing other items-watch closely
  3. Make cinnamon cream and place in fridge
  4. Prepare your pancake batter
  5. Caramelize your bananas while cooking pancakes

Comments