Aunt Dawn's Mac and Cheese

There is macaroni and cheese and then there is wonderfulness! I tell you this is good. In Virginia, you can count on mac n cheese to be at every potluck and almost every supper...as a veggie. This is my sister's recipe. We love it and bag the cheese and freeze it, it is ready to throw in at a moments notice.


The other great thing about this recipe is that it is easy. Sometimes you just need an easy fall back recipe. One the kids will eat.


You add the cheeses to the HOT noodles in a greased baking pan. Whisk all your other ingredients together and pour over. Bake 35 minutes (350 degrees) and let cool before serving.


Dawn's Mac N Cheese
2 cups elbow mac, cooked
8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
8 oz American cheese, cubed

1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup butter, chunked
1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp salt

I am glad I can share this recipe with friends. I wish I could share my sister to..she is AWESOME!

Comments

NancyB said…
Aunt Dawn's mac and cheese sounds wonderful, and I want to give it a try. What type of Americsn cheese do you use--the drier type sold in blocks/bricks, or something more like Velveeta?
I use American slices...not individually wrapped. It is sometimes tricky to find but usually by the cream cheese.
Hope you enjoy it!! It is great.