Diner Desserts Chocolate Cream Pie


If my house was on fire, this is one of the cookbooks I would grab. My top five cookbooks:

  • Diner Desserts
  • Tupelo Honey Cafe
  • King Arthur's Flour Bakers Companion
  • All Recipe's.Com Cookbook
  • The Lion House Cookbook
Actually, now that I think about it...I wouldn't grab my cookbooks because I have posted all my favorite recipes!!

My favorite dessert pie is chocolate cream pie from the diner dessert book. I LOVE it.

Chocolate Cream Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 chocolate wafer crumbs
  • 1 Tb granulated sugar
  • 7 Tb melted butter

Oven 350 degrees. Mix and press into a pie pan. Bake 8 minutes until set. Cool on rack.

Filling Ingredients:
  • 3 Tb cornstarch
  • 1 Tb cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tea salt
  • 1 cup half and half
Mix in a pyrex cup and make a smooth paste.
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
Heat in saucepan. Whisk the hot milk (1 cup) into the pyrex cup with half and half. Then return all to pan and heat till thick about 1 minute after it bubbles. Whisk constantly until consistency of pudding. Remove from heat.
  • 2 Tb butter
  • 1 tea vanilla
Add to pan and mix well. Put into cooled pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or over night.

Topping Ingredients:
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 Tb sugar
  • 1 tea vanilla
Beat until soft peaks. Put on top of pie and serve!




Comments