Baked Grits- The marriage of 2 cookbooks

This week for my Baked baking group we made grits. Which we personally love because we spent 5 years in the south! The only main problem is getting real stone ground grits here in the west. We made due with Bob's Red Mill because we ran out of our Mabry Mill Stone Ground Grits..Boo Hoo.

Everyone loved this. It was a nice compliment to our quiche!

With the leftovers you could make the Breakfast Grit Cakes from Modern Hospitality Cookbook.

These really wonderful grits especially with bacon! The only change I made was halving the pepper. I have made them before and prefer slightly less pepper.

I added this picture later..leftovers with ranchero sauce..yummy!!

Comments

Candy said…
Ooh - I have that book and will have to check out the grit cake recipe.
margot said…
The breakfast cakes look so good! This was a fun recipe.
It was a lot of pepper wasn't it? I had to keep re-checking the recipe to ensure it really said 1 teaspoon!
Love your breakfast cakes. They look fabulous. I ended up cutting my grtis into sticks and frying them up this morning and putting maple syrup on them!
Candy,
I am jealous. I got the book from the library. I like it a lot!

Margot,
It really was a fun one.

Have Apron,
Sorry I don't know your real name..I am still laughing over your funny post!! How was the maple syrup with cheese grits..sounds wild!
Unknown said…
What a great-looking meal, Virginia! I love your creative use and presentation of the grits. :) What did you use to make the rounds? As I was looking at your blog, I was thinking it would be cool to fry them on a griddle with eggs in egg rings... So many possibilities!!
Dafna,
I used a biscuit cutter. I love my biscuit cutter!! And isn't it the truth about the possibilities. All so yummy too.
Anonymous said…
Grits, quiche, BACON! Sounds like the best day ever! :)
Baked on...it was! The next day I made a ranchero sauce and had it on the left overs with a scrambled egg..now that is heaven.