The next day CT's first words were, "Can we go to the Cottom's today?"Loved by everyone!!
Divine Lime Pie from my favorite Junior League Cookbook "Centennial Cookbook"
- Servings: 8
- Meringue Shell:
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes) 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 TB grated fresh lime peel
- Whipped cream and lime peel for garnish
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Generously butter a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in sugar very slowly, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy, about 10 minutes. Pile into pie pan, pushing up around the sides and making decorative edges. Bake for 1 hour until firm.
- Turn off oven, leaving pie in the oven with the door closed for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored. Stir in salt, sugar and lime juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- In a chilled bowl, beat cream until stiff.
- Fold in filling mixture and grated peel.
- Pile into meringue shell and chill at least 4 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and lime peel twists.