Chocolate Frosting Has Arrived

 My middle daughter has turned 12. A young women with such drive for life, sensitivity and compassion. She requested chocolate cake with chocolate frosting this year for her birthday. She also wanted lasagna, cucumbers, and chocolate butter bread.

ST loves cucumbers.

I wanted to make my grandmother's cake recipe because it is quick and always moist. Recipe below.

I have a frosting recipe with sour cream that I love but wanted to try something new. I found a Martha Stewart frosting that had sour cream and cream cheese the looked too good to pass up. It was remarkable. Frosting recipe found here. I halved it and it still made an enormous amount. Wish I would have followed the very first direction of sifting! Mine was not as smooth as it could have been.

ST really thinking over her birthday wish.

Excellent cake, wonderful family party, all around great holiday..spectacular daughter. I love you ST.

Grandma McQuivey's Chocolate Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix (16.5 oz)
1 cup Mayo (not Miracle Whip)
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/2 tea ground cinnamon

Add all ingredients and mix 2 minutes with hand mixer. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes in a 13 X 9 pan that is greased. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack. (30 minutes for 2 9 inch round pans that are greased and floured)

Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting

6 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 of a stick of butter, room temp
Beat until fluffy and pale
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
1/8 tea salt
Sift and then whisk together. Slowly add to creamed ingredients.

9 oz melted bittersweet chocolate (I used 2 bars of Ghirardelli Baking bars 60%)
3/4 cup sour cream
3 Tb milk (if needed to thin- I needed this- original recipe does not call for milk)
Add to rest and beat until smooth. Slather on your cake after eating a couple sample spoonfuls.


Comments