Pancake Tuesday Griddle Cakes with Nutmeg Sauce


Griddle cakes have been a family favorite...well a parent favorite since 1995 when my long lost friend Karen Newell shared the recipe with me. One of my biggest regrets in life is not keeping in better contact with my friends.  This recipe uses left over rice and is so wonderful, flavorful, and unique.

I just love kitchen helpers. Girls cooking next to me makes my day.

Set up and ready to go. I have sense moved the griddle to the table. We can make fresh pancakes right at the table and no one is left standing and serving everyone else.

Griddle Cakes with a Nutmeg Sauce

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
3/4 tea salt
1/2 tea baking soda
1/8 tea nutmeg
Mix together
1 1/2 cup cooked white rice
2 Tb butter, melted
1 egg, separated
Mash rice, melted butter, and yolk together
2 cup buttermilk

Beat egg white till soft peaks. Pour buttermilk into the flour mixture. Mix well. Add rice then fold in egg whites. Grease griddle and cook med. Flip once. Batter does not keep well.

Nutmeg Syrup
3 Tb butter
3/4 tea nutmeg
1 cup corn syrup
pinch salt

Cook the butter and nutmeg till fragrant. Add corn syrup and salt. Heat through.

Comments