Coconut Oil Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, soft but not melted (see note)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups (11.5 ounces) white whole wheat flour (see note)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups quick oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar, granulated sugar and coconut oil until light in color, 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and whip the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, and oatmeal until barely combined - there should be a lot of streaks of dry ingredients remaining. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Scoop and roll the cookie dough into 1-inch (or so) balls and place 1-2 inches apart on a lined (with parchment or a silpat liner) or greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until the edges are lightly golden and set but the middles are still soft.
- Let the cookies sit for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheets after removing them from the oven before using a spatula to place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.