Travel Log and Orange Custard French Toast

I was dreading going to a special education law conference during my last free week of summer. The conference had sounded like such a great idea in May when I registered but now here it was and I really wanted to stay home, bake, quilt, read, weed...anything other than drive 5 hours to learn about special education law in Utah. In an effort to get excited about traveling I started reading cafe reviews and hunting down some fun foodie places.

I WAS looking forward to a quick dinner with my brother Chas as he lives in route. We went to a Vietnamese place that was really yummy. Cool thing is we got to sing Happy Birthday to my sister Jane, together! How cool is that?

I was arriving late at the hotel and was hoping that I wouldn't wake my roommate, who I have met but would say was still a stranger. I was so nervous about staying with a stranger! and arriving late! that by the time I got there, 10:30 pm, I had eaten 3 bags of peanut M&Ms in a small fit of anxiety.

The next morning we ate at the hotel's cafe and I had wonderful oatmeal. Great start to the day. Let me back up for one second..upon looking into the conference breakout sessions I noticed that no food would be served, snacks would be for sale but none would be provided. One of the great things about conferences are the snacks! In small print it said due to federal guidelines there would be no food served. I don't want to get political but hey federal government, "Stay away from my snacks."

The conference was a good one but let me say the highlight was finding a foodie friend in my conference roommate! Stranger turned friend overnight by our love of food and family. We debated lunch, sushi or American. Not being a fan of sushi my preference took over and we went to Pig and a Jelly Jar. We went with the waitress suggestion to have ham hash and chicken and waffles. Great choices.

For dinner that night we joined our district colleagues and went for Italian food. The great thing at this restaurant was not so much the food but the secret plans to split a meal so that we could go get better food later! Best guacamole was only blocks away calling our names. Sonora Grill in Ogden Utah makes the guacamole fresh at your table. It is remarkable. So we found ourselves stopping at a local ice cream shop for dessert then getting guacamole for a late night snack at the hotel. Chips and salsa in bed, well that is almost heaven right there.

So imagine my foodie surprise to start our day at the Bickering Sisters and have yesterday's food pale in comparison. We arrived a little before they opened. The sisters, who were not bickering, drove up in the cutest car, popped out, and invited us in to their quaint cafe. We sat in the patio area and I felt as if I was back in Italy. A place of peace, quiet, and so charming. Perfect weather, not our 110 degree sweltering desert.

I took the suggestion of a sister and had the orange custard french toast on multi-grain bread. I really thought it was amazing. Fresh fruit of bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and boysenberries. There was maple syrup but I didn't even need it. The french toast was so yummy with a slight hint of orange. I knew then and there I had to recreate this for my family. My husband had to try this. I took two recipes, tweaked them a bit and created nothing like their masterpiece. This was completely different but divine!! None of the multigrain health but a super packed orange adventure. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Orange Custard French Toast with Orange Glaze

Ingredient for French Toast:
  • 3/4 to 1 inch thick slices of brioche (this made it like a cloud-not as healthy as the multigrain)
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk
  • 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 orange, zested
  • 2 large eggs 
Ingredients for Orange Glaze:

  • 1/4 cup orange juice ( I fresh squeezed 1 orange)
  • 1 tea cornstarch
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 2 tea unsalted butter
  • 1 tea zested orange peel


Directions for Orange Glaze:
1. Stir OJ and cornstarch in a small saucepan until smooth. Add sugar and stir constantly over med heat until thick, about 5 minutes. Whisk in butter and orange zest. Set aside until needed.

Directions for French Toast:
1. Whisk the milk, cream, sugar, eggs, splash of vanilla, and orange zest in a medium bowl.
2. The original directions say to place the bread slices in a pan and soak for 10 minutes. I just dunked the bread and soaked it. I was careful as the bread is very tender.
3. Cook on a med griddle until both sides are golden and lightly crisped. They will puff up a little in the middle. 
4. Serve with Orange Glaze.

My cute CT made me a tag to wear on my apron! Love my girls. Enjoy the french toast.

Comments

Vicki said…
There is nothing better than French toast! A local cafe that opened by my house charges fifteen dollars for orange Challah French toast that I could make in my sleep. The two things I have accidentily discovered are frozen bread makes soaking much easier. After placing in pan, letting it brown for a tiny bit, I put a lid over it and turn down the heat. The steam makes the bread puff up and gives it great texture plus insures it's cooked through. I figured this out when my grandkids were small and wanted to make certain they weren't eating any raw eggs. Love the tag your daughter made for you!