Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Joel says that these cookies are his favorite. I checked this book out of the library mostly because I saw this recipe and thought, "Gross. That sounds disgusting. I must try it." The recipe uses bacon fat. I have made these several times because we do love them. I can't pinpoint which bacon is best but it does make a big difference. The bacon grease can change these from "GREAT" to "What is that taste..Bacon?"

Irma's Chocolate Chip Cookie 
(Made in America Cookbook)

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tea baking soda
1/2 tea salt
8 Tb (1 stick) butter, room temp
1/2 cup bacon fat (dripping from bacon-stored in fridge)
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tea vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts (wish my girls didn't have nut allergies!)

Cream butter, bacon fat, and sugars until super light and fluffy up to 5 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add vanilla then dry ingredients. Spoon in chocolate chips.

Bake 350 for 11 minutes. Best fresh.

I have been freezing my cookie dough in dollops. I freeze them by the dozen and can bake 1 dozen fresh when needed. I love this because I can always have fresh cookies within 20 minutes.

Comments