Bon Appetit Spaghetti and Meatballs


I do believe I have found my favorite meatball recipe. These are amazing...just absolutely fabulous. My coworker says, "I love me a meatball." Well, you would love this one. I make a big batch and freeze the meatball to use in little portions later. I also like to make the meatballs bite size and not super large..adjust cooking time for size of meatball.

Spaghetti with Sicilian Meatballs
The Bon Appetit Cookbook

Meatballs:
2/3 cup fresh breadcumbs made with crustless french bread
3 Tb whole milk
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced onion
3 TB fresh basil
1 large egg
2 clove garlic (recipe calls for 1)
1/2 tea salt
1/4 tea pepper
1 lb sweet Italian sausage ( I like to use half sausage and half ground beef)
2 TB pine nuts
2 TB dried currants (really are great!)

Sauce:
Olive oil
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
2 28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 TB chopped fresh basil

Saute onion for sauce in olive oil until golden. Add all other ingredients and simmer 1 hour. Add additional fresh basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
While simmering make meatballs. Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes. Mix all other ingredients and roll into balls. Bake until light brown, about 30 minutes in a 350 oven. Add to sauce when ready to serve.

Serve over pasta.

Comments