Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have made browned butter rice krispy squares and been amazed! I never thought about browning butter for chocolate chip cookies. I saw many recipes and finally decided to make these beauties. So great. The recipe I tried is from Lauren's Latest blog. I was going to try other recipes..but I think I don't need to.

BROWNED BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup salted butter {2 sticks} (all I had was unsalted..but it seemed fine)
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, whisked
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I only used 1 1/2 cups and it was plenty)

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, then bring to boil. Once it starts boiling, swirl the pan constantly until the butter passes the foamy phase and becomes a deep amber color. (I didn't swirl...I was busy making lasagne but watching it closely) Remove from heat. Cool 20 minutes. (I was doing other things and waited longer than 20 minutes but it was okay)
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, stir dry ingredients together to combine.
  4. Add sugars, eggs and vanilla to cooled butter and stir to combine. Pour flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until dough comes together. Add in chocolate chips and stir again briefly to incorporate.
  5. Using a medium 2-tablespoon cookie scoop, drop the dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes until edges are lightly golden.
  6. Cool cookies 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. (Mine didn't last that long!)

Comments