Cinnamon Roll Heaven

I have been on a quest for great cinnamon rolls for years now. My mother in law makes the best rolls: orange rolls, cinnamon rolls, and dinner rolls. She makes them for Christmas gifts. They are a very worthy gift! 
I have never been able to get them just right. This recipe helped me achieve THE BEST cinnamon roll.


The recipe is originally from the Oregonian by Nicki Cross. I found the recipe in my 150 Best American Recipes cookbook that I have been using since 2006. I have loved everything I have made from this book. I have made changes to the original recipe.

Ingredients:
Dough
1 cup warm water (105- 115 degrees)
2 Tb active dry yeast
1 tea honey
1/4 tea ground cardamon
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup milk, heated to 110 degrees
10 1/2 Tb butter, room temp
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tea salt
7-8 cups all purpose flour (sticky dough)
Filling
8 Tb butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 Tb cinnamon (I like Penzey's)
1/4 tea cardamon
2/3 cup melted butter for pans
1/4 cup sugar for pans

To make dough, combine first 8 ingredients with 3 1/2 cups flour. Mix until smooth.  Add salt with the 4th cup flour. Stir in enough flour to make a slightly stiff but stick to your finger tips kind of dough. I let my Bosch knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.
Place in greased bowl and rise until doubled 1 1/4 hours.
Make filling while raising-mix 1 1/4 cup sugar, cardamon and cinnamon together.
Punch down and rest 5 minutes.
Roll out to 15X20 rectangle.
Spread 1 cube of butter (8 Tb) on the dough. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roll jelly roll style and pinch edges shut. Cut into 16 slices.
Use 2 13X9 pans. Pour 1/3 cup melted butter in each pan and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Place cinnamon rolls in pans-8 slices per pan. Cover and let raise 45 minutes or until doubled.
Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until 190 degrees in the center. Cool before frosting.

I like my rolls without frosting. I think they are great as is..but my family loves the extra sugar. The recipe I love the best is from a friend, Amber. It is divine.

Frosting Recipe
1 stick margarine (no butter)
4 Tb cream cheese (room temp)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tea lemon juice
1/2 tea vanilla

Beat butter, cream cheese, and sugar for 12 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Yes, margarine and yes, 12 whole minutes! It is worthy it. So yummy.




Comments