Death by Chocolate "The Big Dig"

After making the triple layer Mississippi Mud Cake for the Baked Sundays Group, I found a recipe that I wanted to make a long time ago. The Mississippi Mud cake was fun but I thought it could be so much better...so I made my favorite layers (no flour chocolate torte and chocolate pudding) and assembled it "The Big Dig" style. The Big Dig is from the Death by Chocolate Cookbook. I got this cookbook from The Trellis restaurant in Historic Williamsburg VA from the King of Ganache!! I had 2 signed cookbooks from there but gave the sister book to my friend Joy.

After you make your favorite recipe for a flourless chocolate torte and pudding, get ready to have the fun!!

You will need:
  • Biscuit cutter
  • Parchment Paper
  • White Chocolate- 2oz
  • Dark Chocolate-4 oz
  • Milk Chocolate-2 oz
  • Large Work Area
Melt your chocolate in separate bowls and start to cool.

Cut rounds out of your cake and place in fridge until ready to use.

Transfer your milk chocolate and white chocolate into small ziplock baggies. Then cut a small corner off.

Decorate your parchment paper. I premeasured mine to fit my biscuit rounds. Then started with my white chocolate.

I then added my milk chocolate swirls. Cool them briefly.

Then I added my dark chocolate over the top of my design...and swiped it with my groovy spatula. If you want it more marbled looking press harder with your spatula. I wanted to keep my designs a little more intact so I was gentle.

I had to swipe some chocolate off the end because I had to much on...spread it thin. Then roll up your flourless chocolate cake bottom.

Sit your rolls in a pan and place in the fridge for 30 min or more.

Very carefully pull off the parchment paper. Then add your pudding layer...and then the whipped cream layer. It doesn't have to be perfect. I tried with the first one (top right back corner) and it wasn't nearly as cool looking as the others.
I used a decorators plunger thing to add both layers as my cups are too fragile for a spoon.

You can spinkle chocolate chunks on top...

Or decorate with shards of chocolate.  Notice the different designs on the cups...milk chocolate is beautiful!
This is the center! It is nicely layered.

These are very rich and should be made small! I used a 3 inch cutter and thought that would be perfect but it was really too big. The bottom layer is best at room temperature, but the cup melts quickly (especially in our desert heat).

Comments

Susan said…
WOW! I am truly impressed! I have lots of Marcel Desaulniers cookbooks but have never attempted anything like this - just stunning! Oh - and I love The Trellis!
Susan,
I adore "The Trellis"..have you put your hands over Marcel's in the hallway! I am just that dorky!! I have only been there twice but have loved it every time.
These are so incredibly impressive... I am just floored by your creativity and skill. Absolutely gorgeous, WOW!
Littlebakerbunny,
Being an attorney is much harder!! This was so easy. You should give it a try and be amazed.