Skillet Mac and Cheese which was super creamy and Joel's aunts Baked Mac & Cheese. The kids liked the baked mac and cheese and Boxed Thick and Creamy.
Mel's Skillet Mac & Cheeseingredients
- 3 1/2 cups water, plus extra if needed
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 12 ounces (about 3 cups) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded ( I would use Sharp-it needs more flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has thickened, 9 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, mustard and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off the heat, stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust the consistency of the sauce (I didn’t need any additional water when I made it). Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Baked Mac & Cheese
Aunt Marion's Recipe (North Carolina Robinson's)Ingredients
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 8oz (1 3/4 cups cooked) elbow macaroni, cooked 6 minutes, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (about 8 oz.)
- 1 Tb margarine
- In medium saucepan combine first 5 ingredients. Add milk and stir till smooth. Add margarine.
- Bring to boil over med heat, stirring constantly and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cheese. Stir all other cheese into milk until melted. Add cooked noodles.
- Place in greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 375 oven for 25 minutes.