Apricot Harvest and Scones

Oh...let me tell you how much fun we are having with the apricots! If you have missed the week of fun we have made jam, bread, muffins, and now apricot cream cheese scones. Recipe here. I just love King Arthur's Flour. The cookbooks are my favorites and now so many of their recipes are online.

The recipe calls for mixing by hand but I do love to use the processor. And it worked. Plus my assistant loves to press the buttons.

I love the smell of fresh fruit..and being able to throw everything in to one place to mix.

Having fun whisking together the egg, vanilla and milk.

And sporting a new apron!! I made that..wow, canning, picking fruit, homemade bread and sewing. Have I been abducted by aliens? I bet you didn't even notice the apron because my assistant is so cute.

Brushing with milk and adding a sprinkle of sugar..taste testing along the way.

 Apricot Cream Cheese Scones
King Arthur's Flour Baker's Companion 

Ingredients

  • 3 1/4 cups  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, chunked
  • 1 cup diced dried apricots
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons more, if needed
  • Sparkling sugar for garnish, optional
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place all dry ingredients into processor and pulse a few times.
Pulse in the butter and cream cheese like biscuits.
Add apricot to the bowl but do not pulse yet.

Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add liquid to processor and pulse until evenly moistened..but not a lot.
Put onto floured board and fold over until it holds together-2 or 3 times
Pat into 1 inch think slab.
Cut into triangles.
Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 18 minutes until golden brown.

We loved them with fresh apricot jam and sour cream. YUM.

Comments

I love to see your little helper having fun in the kitchen! Glad the recipe was a hit. In case you haven't tried it, here's one of my favorites: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/tasting-is-believing-whole-grain-brownies-recipe

Happy baking! -Allison
Can I say that this comment from King Arthur Flour made my day!!! I feel like a queen with a message from the King! Oh Yes...I will try the brownie recipe.